For one to become a member one must have:
- An MMed Degree in Ophthalmology from the member universities or from a university that is recognized by COECSA Council
- Registered with the official statutory registering body of the home country for such period as the COECSA Council may from time to time determine
- Has passed relevant College Fellowship examinations as may be prescribed from time to time by the Council unless exempted by the Council, if in possession of equivalent postgraduate qualifications and competence approved by the Council
- Must be in possession of a valid medical practicing certificate and
- Must be a person of good character and in good professional standing with respective professional bodies.